Monday 26 May 2014

Mother's Day

I generally do not do too much for Mother's Day with my learners. It can be a very emotional time, as I have learned. This past Mother's Day, the moms in my class celebrated in the childminding area with their children. They were given some special artwork and enjoyed story time together. One of my students returned to class and said that they had read a beautiful book. I asked her to describe it, and I knew right away it was the book that always makes me cry: Love you Forever by Robert Munsch. As she retold the story, I (of course!), along with some other students, began to cry.

Here is a link to the book and a bit of the background of the song within it.
http://robertmunsch.com/book/love-you-forever

As a class, we talked about how life changes and we are often in the process of growth / new beginnings and loss. Deep ideas for Mother's Day.

It was interesting, though, to learn that different countries celebrate Mother's Day on different days (e.g., March 8, March 21). Not many of my learner's celebrated Father's Day in their previous countries. This makes for some interesting class discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment